Friday, October 5, 2012
|It was just so young and innocent|
I bought a Eureka lemon tree in autumn 2007, soon after we moved in - it was on special for $23 at Bunnings, and for that price, it was a very lucky thing I didn't end up with a small orchard. I also picked up a pot slightly larger than the root-ball, figuring that it wouldn't be long before I'd have it in the ground and everyone would be happy. Little did I realise that it would be over three years before it would move out of that pot. Lesson one: Never buy a tree you don't already have a hole for.
|Oh so close to the ground, but still in the pot|
|In the ground, finally (August 2010)|
|Doesn't look espaliered, does it? (October 2012)|
In August 2010, the lemon finally made the ground, in a place I never would have imagined three years earlier. I planted it in a recently made garden bed against the eastern fence - which was built over the top of a water easement. The soil is relatively shallow, but that's perfect for shallow-rooted citrus. My plan was to espalier it along the fence to wisely use the space in this walk-through garden bed.
I don't know where the time has gone, but I noticed last week that two years had passed - and this sad old lemon was still sitting there against the fence waiting for some form. Weighted down with fruit again, and growing wild and barely stronger than the day I'd bought it, something had to be done to give this poor bastard the shot at life it'd never had.
I removed all the oddly-formed lemons, then went to work building a simple frame out of a variety of garden stakes I had lying around. I then gently pulled the four healthiest looking, green wood against the horizontal stakes, and tied them down (I use Velcro strips in the garden these days for tie-downs - they're easily moveable and re-usable). Every other branch that didn't conform to the shape got the chop. Spring isn't necessarily the best time to be pruning citrus, but there's no time like the present for work this far overdue.
And maybe most surprisingly, the last thing I did was remove all the spring flowers. Because for all the pain I'd caused this tree over the years, we really don't go through that many lemons. I think I'll survive without for a few seasons.
Monday, October 1, 2012
One of the more frequently asked questions about the garden (which is really just a euphemism for "someone I know asked me about it more than once") is "how's that mango tree going"?
I guess, to most people, growing a Bowen mango in a pot is one of the more unusual things I've tried. As far as potted mango goes, I'm certainly not alone in the world - A quick search will bring up loads of links about growing mangoes in pots. It's just none of them will recommend growing a full sized Bowen in a pot, which makes complete sense - it's a bit like trying to launch a catamaran in a bathtub. Still, I occasionally get a page hit from someone searching "Bowen mango in a pot" - So this either means I've slipped into a niche as the worlds foremost expert on growing Bowen mangoes in pots (unlikely), or someone I know couldn't remember my blog's URL and knew that I was the only idiot that would do such a thing (a little more likely).
Well to my surprise (and probably everyone else's), I actually managed to get a very palatable mango off the tree in March 2011, and we probably all looked toward the tree with a new kind of hope. Since then however, with my long absence from the garden, the most attention it's received is the occasional glance, sometimes a look of pity, and from time to time, I may have bumped into it when i walked past. It wasn't a great year for mangoes. The tree did however fair quite well without me, surviving on just rainfall for the good part of twelve months (granted it was the wettest twelve months I can ever remember).
In the past few months I've refocused on giving the tree a real shot at a record crop of two mangoes. Sure, this is a few short of a tray, but as one of the handful of Australians that doesn't seek mangoes with a vegemite-like fanaticism, two will do me just fine.
I started by giving it some more support in the form of some recycled plastic stakes, as the main branches have never really thickened and strengthened that much. These also help to control the balance of weight around a sensible centre of gravity, by allowing me to train larger branches in different directions. The main challenge is in keeping the hungry beast fed. At the start of spring I applied a handful of blood and bone, and a granulated slow-release fertilizer - then topped the pot up with cow manure. Every few weeks since I've given it a drink of some seaweed extract, and I'll gradually add more slow-release granules as the season progresses. I'm in a habit of watering it most mornings now, which will become increasingly important when fruit sets. Mornings are also a great watering time so the tree has the full day to dry out, and not encourage any fungal disease.
So that should bring you up to date. The warmer weather has seen new shoots from the base of the tree, and flower-heads forming on the two main branches. I'm very hopeful for the 2012/2013 mango season!